[Snort-users] 2 NICS

Tom McComb tmccomb at ...5923...
Thu May 23 08:46:02 EDT 2002

sounds like a hardware issue at first glance. you lose connectivity to the
whole box, or snort just not seeing anything?

if it's hardware, try the obvious - different nic, different slot, etc.

Also, with one of my (typically oddball) systems at home, one of my nics
just wouldn't do promiscious mode right at all (3com 3c595 w/ FreeBSD 4.5).
solved it by using my 2nd nic for the er, snorting, and the 595 for control
connection. Worked just fine that way. Thought I'd throw that in for good
measure.

From: John Maestrale [mailto:jmaestrale at ...5809...]
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 10:10 AM
To: Snort-Users (E-mail)
Subject: [Snort-users] 2 NICS

Trying to run snort with 2 nics. Every time I put the second nick in I lose
connectivity completely. I am running redhat 7.3. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Snort-users list archive:

Important: This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended
for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information may be subject
to legal restriction or sanction. Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone,
of any unintended recipients and delete the original message without making any copies.