[Snort-users] Snort comparisons

Mon May 20 11:51:04 EDT 2002

Some very generic information is available here: < http://www4.gartner.com/DisplayTechOverview?id=320015 <http://www4.gartner.com/DisplayTechOverview?id=320015&acsFlg=accessBought#h9> &acsFlg=accessBought#h9>.  However, this is just market overview information.  More detailed information is available at a cost, although I think that most of what you'll find will pertain to Cisco, as Snort hasn't been "corporate" long enough to warrant a full analysis.

<lightweight_rant>
And it should go without saying that you should take anything coming from Gartner with more than a few grains of salt.  They tend to put out some pretty inflammatory "research."
</lightweight_rant>

As far as Snort-specific information is concerned, you might try going to Sourcefire, Silicon Defense, etc., who surely have some type of technical documentation for sales and marketing (procurement) purposes.

Cheers

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Prendergast [mailto:tprendergast at ...5901...]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 2:35 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort comparisons

Greetings,

I'm seeking any information people have on Snort vs Cisco NetRanger comparisons that may have been done professionally or for educational reasons. I'm seeking as much info as possible to provide a fair comparison of the two products to my organization for IDS solutions. We don't need gigabit performance or anything, something that does 100Mbps would be fine for a lonnnnggg time. I'm a big fan of Snort, but need more data to back my position.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help.

Thanks,
Tim Prendergast
tprendergast at ...5899...