[Snort-users] Automating Sensor Installation

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at ...3877...
Sun May 19 17:28:02 EDT 2002

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Darren Young wrote:

> I've been in the market for a while for a dedicated
> Linux sensor distro but have not found one.

<snip>

> What other distros are fairly simple to automate? I've
> done RedHat before, but I really don't want all their
> crap on a sensor. Just a really plain and simple
> release.

Darren,

I would look more closely at RedHat's kickstart facility.  It's fairly
trivial to kickstart a RH box with say, the 2.4.18 kernel, snort, acid,
and postgresql/mysql.

You can add in customized shell scripts as part of the post install.  We
use this to setup the networking scripts, routing tables, ips, and such.