AW: [Snort-users] another switch question

Poppi, Sandro Sandro.Poppi at ...3316...
Thu May 16 06:14:05 EDT 2002

Hi

> Hi everybody,
>
> I know this is out of snort question but I know
> someone might have a wide knowledge regarding the
> switch environment.
>
> I have 2 question
>
> 1) what brand of switch do you recommend?

Depends on which features you need and how it fits into your environment.
Using Enterasys or Cisco should be ok.

> 2) Is this supported by Linux because all my box is
> linux which is exposed to the internet. I know a
> little bit, some switch specially with port mirroring
> needs a driver just for windows only.  Correct me if I
> wrong.

I never heard about the requirement of a driver on an end-node system for
port mirroring. Port mirroring is a switch feature which can be used with
any node capable of having the correct nic counterpart as the mirrored port.

So connect your linux box to the mirrored port and have fun ;)

cu,
Sandro