[Snort-users] Snort loading at startup

counter.spy at ...348... counter.spy at ...348...
Tue May 14 09:39:05 EDT 2002

Ted,
the BSD script you mentioned works fine on Linux if you do some
minor changes.

I am afraid I haven't the modified script here right now, cause I am at
home, but if I am remembering correctly, I had just left out everything I did not
understand, and voila, it worked (I am still quite a Linux newbie, too). ;-)

However I am now using the script that was shipped with my SuSE distro.
(the src rpm for snort contains a good startup script which works the SuSE
way:
copy the script to /etc/init.d, create a symlink to the runlevel in which
you want Snort to be started, then you'll have to define START_SNORT in
rc.config, set it to 'YES' and at last run SuSEconfig.)
I modified this script according to my needs, e.g. including ifconfig up and
some sleep
intervals, cause I was having timing problems with autonegotiation stuff.

There is another script to be found at:
www.lug-burghausen.org/projects/Snort-Statistics/
(credits to Sandro Poppi)

Hope that helps.
Greetings,
Detmar

>The interface starts at bootup, and I am not sure how to add it to the
script.  I am >kinda new to this linux stuff.  The script was the one that is on
the documentation page >in the "installing freeBSD, mysql, and Snort
tutorial".

http://www.gmx.net