[Snort-users] Snort in a switched environment

Matt Yackley Matt.Yackley at ...5858...
Tue May 14 09:30:06 EDT 2002

The trouble with a switch is that it stores MAC address in a table for each
port and will only send data to the specific port that is the destination,
the execptions are broadcast traffic and perhaps when a new device is placed
on the network.  A way around the problem is if the switch handles port
mirroring, you can mirror traffic from selected ports to a port that you
specfiy as the monitoring port.  Check the user manual that came with the
switch to see if it supports port mirroring.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Bastian Ballmann [mailto:ballmann at ...3190...]
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 10:20 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort in a switched environment

Hello!
Is it possible to run Snort in a switched environment? Cause Snort can only
sniff the traffic of the host he is running on. Unless he is doing something

like ARP poisoning or something like this...
But I think this would lead into trouble if you run the arpspoof
preprocessor
;)
Greets

Bastian Ballmann
--
Bastian Ballmann [ ballmann at ...3190... ]
@ Computational Design GmbH