[Snort-users] Snort + Demarc Remote logging?

Ryan Hill rhill at ...2446...
Mon May 13 12:06:02 EDT 2002

Matt,

You should be able to do this while running Demarc on your OpenBSD box.  You
mentioned that you have mysql installed on the openbsd box, so you should be
set.

To save yourself some heartache,  make sure you're using the same version on
both systems.  Also, you may want to make sure you can resolve your windows
hostname and/or IP and connect to the mysql port on your windows box from
your bsd box to make sure network connectivity won't be a problem.

To setup your console to run from your bsd box, you need to point the
console config to your windows host.  You can either do this by specifying
the host and login information at install time, or for an existing install,
take a look at /usr/local/puresecure/console/cgi/puresecure_config.pm (by
default).

puresecure_config.pm example:

$conf{'db_user'} = "user";
$conf{'db_passwd'} = "password";
$conf{'db_host'} = "localhost";
$conf{'db_name'} = "IDS";
$conf{'db_port'} = "3306";

To setup remote logging, you need to point each of your sensors to the
remote box by specifying the host and login information as part of the
install, or to modify an existing sensor, check your sensor.conf files which
are located is /usr/local/puresecure/sensor/conf by default.  Don't forget
to update your snort.conf output configs in the console.  Repeat this
process for each sensor you're running on the bsd box.

psd.conf example:

db_user = "user"
db_password = "password"
db_host = "localhost"
db_name = "IDS"
db_port = "3306"

snort.conf example:

output database: alert, mysql, user=user dbname=IDS
sensor_name=MySpecialSensor sid=1 password=password host=localhost

Regards,

Ryan Hill
Corporate Information Systems
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) - http://www.telecomsys.com