[Snort-users] Shellcode.rules fatal error?

Ed Kasky ed at ...3483...
Sun May 12 00:48:02 EDT 2002

I just updated my rules with the latest release from snort.org and when I
restart the daemon  I get the following:

FATAL ERROR: [!] ERROR shellcode.rules(14) => Bad port number:
"(msg:"SHELLCODE"

If my count is correct - this should be #14:

alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET $SHELLCODE_PORTS (msg:"SHELLCODE
x86 stealth NOOP"; content: "|eb 02 eb 02 eb 02|"; reference:arachnids,291;
classtype:shellcode-detect; sid:651; rev:5;)

what in this rule might cause such an error?  I have shellcodes disabled as
of now...

Thanks in advance.

Ed
~~

Ed Kasky
Los Angeles, CA
"Consider the postage stamp its usefulness consists in the
ability to stick to one thing till it gets there."
	- Josh Billings