[Snort-users] Proper Method and/or Place to Declare HTTP_SERVERS port?

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Wed May 8 14:07:02 EDT 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Vadim Pushkin wrote:

> I am using port 8180 versus port 80. I would prefer not messing around with
> all of the rules files. I've noticed that the rules files themselves specify
> port 80, but my servers are listening on port 8180. Is there a way to change
> this in the snort.conf file? I've tried setting:
>
> preprocessor http_decode: 8180 -unicode -cginull
>
> but I still get alarms for hosts possibly port scanning my HTTP_SERVERS.

And you will continue to.  :)

The http_decode preprocessor has _nothing_ to do with the rules.  It strictly
deals with 'normalizing' the URLs before snort runs them thru the rulesets.

You'll need to manually (or via a script) change port 80 in each of the
*.rules to port 8180.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams