[Snort-users] Price for "vanilla Snort" (no bells and whistles)

dr.kaos dr.kaos at ...4970...
Wed May 8 09:07:46 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 05:32 pm, Martin Roesch wrote:

> For the record, Sourcefire has put no proprietary mods into Snort at
> this time, the version running on our sensors is the exact same
> version that you can download for free at snort.org.  That's why the
> software has been improving so much lately (from a features and
> stability standpoint), we need it to be there for our commercial
> users and you get the benefits of that work.  All the proprietary
> stuff that we do wraps around Snort and interacts with it, but
> doesn't link directly into it (and therefore doesn't need to be GPL'd
> itself).

Yeah, I realized the errors in my thought processes after Sandro
straightened me out yesterday ;)

Quick question, tho, for any of you Sourcefire guys and gals:

If I understand correctly, one of the most sifnificant improvements you
guys have made is in database logging speed and resulting query
performance. I think, based on a discussion I had with someone there
several months back, that the database sw you guys are using is in fact
proprietary, yes? If so, does it use the existing db output directives?

cheers,

./dr.kaos