AW: [Snort-users] Price for "vanilla Snort" (no bells and whistle s)

Poppi, Sandro Sandro.Poppi at ...3316...
Mon May 6 22:26:02 EDT 2002

> Not exactly. Sourcefire is the only organization with a true
> 'commercial
> snort' in the sense that they've changed the code (and the
> license) to
> improve functionality and performance (if I understand right). To my
> knowledge, this is the only closed-source derivation of Snort
> to date.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but snort is GPL licensed which means every
derived work has to be GPL licensed too along with the code being open
source! So in my understanding there won't be a legally (in terms of GPL)
closed-source snort.

As Marty, Chris and all snort contributers honour the open source community
it would be very strange if sourcefire's appliance uses any closed-source
snort.

cu,
Sandro