[Snort-users] Automating Snort on W2k using WinAt

Brown, Bobby (US - Hermitage) bobbrown at ...5777...
Fri May 3 10:09:03 EDT 2002

I installed snort as a service. Then I recycle snort as needed on schedule
with the command

net stop "snort service name"  and then followed by
net start "snort service name"

Bobby

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew.Zielinski at ...1252...
Sent: Thu 5/2/2002 3:23 PM
To: Brian Ertel
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Automating Snort on W2k using WinAt

Brian,
     Not sure if this will help, but I use a scheduling program called JIT.
It does allow you to kill a proccess after a certain period of time.
Originally this program was free, with the latest release there is a very
reasonable fee. You can find it at.

http://gibinsoft.net/hp/polyakoff/ <http://gibinsoft.net/hp/polyakoff/>

Andrew Zielinski

                    Brian Ertel

                    <bsertel at ...4207...>                To:
"'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'"
                    Sent by:
<snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
                    snort-users-admin at ...635...        cc:

                    eforge.net                           Subject:
[Snort-users] Automating Snort on W2k
                                                         using WinAt

                    05/02/2002 03:28 PM

This is a re-phrasing of a question that went unanswered.
Using WinAt I want to automate the starting and stopping
of snort.  I use the snort -de -l c:\inetpub\wwwroot\logs -c snort.conf
command to start snort.  Usually I manually
stop snort for ending the process in the
Task Manager, however that will obviously
not be a viable option in the automatic process.
I am using WinAt and a .bat file to start snort at 12:00am
every day with the above command.  What command can
I write in a .bat file in order to automatically stop snort before
12am everyday using WinAt and a .bat file?

Thank you,

Brian

----------------------------------
Brian Ertel
Systems & Networking
Network Administrator
Amherst College
Voice: 413-542-8320
Fax:    413-542-2626
bsertel at ...4207...
Snort-users list archive:
<http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=snort-users>

Snort-users list archive:
<http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=snort-users>

- This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information