[Snort-users] Errors when initiating my sensors.

Andreas Östling andreaso at ...236...
Wed May 1 09:31:28 EDT 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Vadim Pushkin wrote:

> obsd30# May  1 10:33:06 snort1 snort: FATAL ERROR: ERROR: OpenPcap() device
> eth1
> open:   /dev/bpf8: Device not configured
> May  1 10:33:06 snort1 snort: FATAL ERROR: ERROR: OpenPcap() device eth1
> open:
> /dev/bpf8: Device not configured
> I am running on OpenBSD 3.0 and pushing data to a MySQL server, both
> mysql and openbsd boxes have been upgraded.

You need more configured BPF devices. The GENERIC kernel only configures
/dev/bpf0-7. Recompile your kernel with "pseudo-device bpfilter X" where X
is more than 8 and make sure you also have enough /dev/bpf* files.
Create more with cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV bpf10; ./MAKEDEV bpf11 ... if needed.

Regards,
Andreas Östling