[Snort-users] OT: Reseller Rant

J. Craig Woods drjung at ...2066...
Thu Mar 28 12:26:21 EST 2002

Erek Adams wrote:

> [Warning:  The following may not be suited for young children, small animals
> and some household appliances.]
>
> Ok, I still haven't had enough coffee yet, so I'm a bit cranky.  Yes, I'm
> apologizing in advance....  :-/
>
> <rant>
>
> On the selling of Snort based appliances:  I think it's great to get Snort out
> there as much as possible.  I think the idea of a 'pre-packaged sensor and
> console' is a cool idea (Go Sourcefire!).  It's great for an enterprise to be
> able to buy a box, software and support all in one place!  Buy it, plug it in,
> configure it, and support in the wings incase something happens....  GREAT
> IDEA!
>
> Now, the part that just really aggitates me:  When these appliance vendors
> post to this email list (snort-users) and get help from list members....And
> then have the audacity to charge a customer for the info they got in a free
> public forum.  I don't mind helping folks.  I really don't.  I _DO_ mind being
> 'backline email support' and not getting paid for it.  :-/  Yeah, Yeah--I
> know...  "Don't help people then."  It's not the money...  It's the principle
> of the matter:  $4,000 a year (in some cases) for support.  And the support
> team gets thier tuff questions answered here?  *sigh*  God...  Corporate
> America.  Greed--It makes the world go round.
>
> And to the resellers:  When you cut-n-paste from the email list into your tech
> documents, you could at least _try_ to make it look like it was written by
> your company.
>
> </rant>
>
> I think I'll go have some more coffee now....
>
> -----

At certain times, when everybody is bitching about something, a rant
will be made that deserves to be heard. Erek's critique (nice euphemism
for rant) is one that deserves our attention. With or without your
cofffee, I wholeheartedly agree with you. After all is said and done, it
is principles that guide out way in times of uncertainty, and *nothing*
else.

Good insight, and thanks

--
J. Craig Woods