[Snort-users] OT: Reseller Rant

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Thu Mar 28 11:03:11 EST 2002

[Warning:  The following may not be suited for young children, small animals
and some household appliances.]

Ok, I still haven't had enough coffee yet, so I'm a bit cranky.  Yes, I'm
apologizing in advance....  :-/

<rant>

On the selling of Snort based appliances:  I think it's great to get Snort out
there as much as possible.  I think the idea of a 'pre-packaged sensor and
console' is a cool idea (Go Sourcefire!).  It's great for an enterprise to be
able to buy a box, software and support all in one place!  Buy it, plug it in,
configure it, and support in the wings incase something happens....  GREAT
IDEA!

Now, the part that just really aggitates me:  When these appliance vendors
post to this email list (snort-users) and get help from list members....And
then have the audacity to charge a customer for the info they got in a free
public forum.  I don't mind helping folks.  I really don't.  I _DO_ mind being
'backline email support' and not getting paid for it.  :-/  Yeah, Yeah--I
know...  "Don't help people then."  It's not the money...  It's the principle
of the matter:  $4,000 a year (in some cases) for support.  And the support
team gets thier tuff questions answered here?  *sigh*  God...  Corporate
America.  Greed--It makes the world go round.

And to the resellers:  When you cut-n-paste from the email list into your tech
documents, you could at least _try_ to make it look like it was written by
your company.

</rant>

I think I'll go have some more coffee now....

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net