[Snort-users] LaBrea escalates event volume

Bill McCarty bmccarty at ...5196...
Wed Mar 27 22:39:02 EST 2002

Hi Chris,

I spent time examining packet traces and determined that the mystery
packets are, in fact, CodeRed. The strings such as "GET /dddddd" are the
result of LaBrea forcing the worm to repeatedly resend the first character
of the intended URI. This artifact prevents the NIDS -- and prevented me,
for a time -- from recognizing the traffic as CodeRed.

I believe that the strings are CodeRed, because they consist of exactly the
same characters as the initial character of the various URIs used by
CodeRed. I sweep under the carpet the fact that "M" doesn't appear in the
CodeRed samples I've seen, figuring that's a minor variation when a half
dozen or more other letters match up just right and have roughly the proper
frequencies.

Another indicator is the preference for the host with IP address x.x.x.99,
which seems to me to be a result of CodeRed's imperfect random number
generation.

The high volume of alerts that prompted my original posting was found to be
due to NIDS rules that triggered on every packet, rather than only the SYN
packets. LaBrea encourages a tarpitted host by sending it a packet once in
a while, to keep the host interested. This was yielding lots of unnecessary
alerts. Initially, they were so many that my log reports wouldn't run! This
made it harder to figure out what was going on. Eventually, I did figure it
out and revised the relevant rules to trigger only on SYN packets. Shortly
thereafter, I received a helpful message from LaBrea's author, who'd
astutely recognized from afar the cause of my problem.

Now, everything's working great. I really enjoy imagining those frustrated
worms and would-be hackers <grin>. Today, I saw a manual attack from the
same host that launched a CodeRed earlier in the day. Talk about double fun!

So, shorten my original opening to merely "I don't think." Chris gets the
prize!

Cheers,

--On Monday, March 18, 2002 6:28 PM -0800 Bill McCarty <bmccarty at ...5196...>