[Snort-users] Detecting FTP Hacks

Bamm Visscher bamm at ...539...
Wed Mar 27 05:35:10 EST 2002

There is a rule in policy.rules for detecting anonymous logins
(sid:553). For detecting someone creating a directory named "tagged" you
could use:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 21 (msg:"POLICY FTP Possible
warez site"; content:"MKD"; content:"tagged"; nocase; flags:A+;)

Make sure to use the nocase option, since we know no WaReZ puppy worth
his zero day is going to use something plain like "tagged" when he/she
can gain oh-so-many cool points with a directory called

You cannot create a single rule to detect anonymous access and the
creation of a tagged directory since the USER and MKD commands are going
to be in different packets.

Bammkkkk