[Snort-users] snort/ACID/MySQL

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Tue Mar 26 22:59:04 EST 2002

Hello world..

Is it common to have to run MySQL skip-grant-tables to get away from
myriad ERROR 1045 "Access denied for: 'user blah.host.host' (Using
password = YES)" errors, trying to connect to a snort DB off on
another box?

I was trying to get my firewall box to do this:

<snort.conf fragment>
#
output database: alert, mysql, user=blah dbname=snort host=sparky encoding=hex detail=full
#
</snort.conf fragment>

to go and send the alerts off to another box for analysis.

This is after _hours_ tweaking mysql's user and host tables with
passwords and users and FQDN's and IP addresses, and "mysqladmin
flush-privileges" and "flush-hosts" over and over again.

So I threw up my hands and added skip-grant-tables to /etc/my.cnf and
restarted mysqld and off we went, first try.

Now that it works, I guess I don't care, but I was just wondering...

- John
--
In those days, you could not buy a $2000 200MHz Pentium server.