[Snort-users] Snort+flexresp

Bamm Visscher bamm at ...539...
Tue Mar 26 05:30:07 EST 2002

Jeff,

Thanks for the explanation about how flex-resp works. Although to me it
seems you mixed "how it works" with "when/how to use it" and I disagree
with some of your assertions. You seem to imply that flex-resp will only
work with content based signatures. That is where I disagree. For
example, rules like these:

alert tcp 192.168.1.1 any <> any any (msg: "LOCAL Attempted session from
perp."; flags:!R; resp:rst_all;)

and

alert tcp any any <> 10.1.1.1 1524 (msg: "LOCAL Attempted session to
perps backdoor."; flags:!R; resp:rst_all;)

will attempt kill any session to/from the "bad guy" or his backdoor, and
as long as the protocol is "reset friendly" (ie ssh, FTP, SMTP, most tcp
backdoors, etc), it will be very successful.

Why would anyone use a rule like this? Because in some organizations
(MSSPs, larger companies, etc), the individuals doing network security
monitoring aren't necessarily handling the management of the
firewalls/routers. With flex-resp, the analyst who detect a successful
compromise can institute some type of "protection" until those
responsible for the compromised system and/or the engineers responsible
for FW management can be contacted and they can take the appropriate
actions.

Bammkkkk