[Snort-users] Snort dies after a few days.

Bill McCarty bmccarty at ...5196...
Mon Mar 25 10:29:16 EST 2002

I ran into a problem compiling snort-1.8.4 under RHL 7.2 and want to pass
on the apparent solution, for benefit of others wanting to enable debugging.

The make command fails, with messages complaining about the redefinition of
int8-t and similar types.

The problem appears to be an error in the RHL 7.2 /usr/include/sys/types.h
which reads:

# ifndef __int8_t_defined
#  define __int8_t_defined
__intN_t (8, __QI__);
__intN_t (16, __HI__);
__intN_t (32, __SI__);
__intN_t (64, __DI__);
# endif

__u_intN_t (8, __QI__);
__u_intN_t (16, __HI__);
__u_intN_t (32, __SI__);
__u_intN_t (64, __DI__);

Following the conditional definition of these types with an unconditional
defintion does not make sense. Moreover, it results in redefinition. The
fix is to eliminate the unconditional definition by commenting it out:

# ifndef __int8_t_defined
#  define __int8_t_defined
__intN_t (8, __QI__);
__intN_t (16, __HI__);
__intN_t (32, __SI__);
__intN_t (64, __DI__);
# endif

/*
__u_intN_t (8, __QI__);
__u_intN_t (16, __HI__);
__u_intN_t (32, __SI__);
__u_intN_t (64, __DI__);
*/

I plan to report this apparent bug via RH's bugzilla, if it hasn't already
been reported.