[Snort-users] Snort dies after a few days.

Bill McCarty bmccarty at ...5196...
Mon Mar 25 10:09:03 EST 2002

My Snort, running under RHL 7.2 and using RH kernel 2.4.9-21, sometimes
dies after a few hours of operation. When it does, it restarts cleanly, so
I don't suspect configuration or environmental problems. However, unlike
Emilio's case, Snort doesn't log an exit message. Neither does it log a
message when the network interface enters or leaves promiscuous mode,
apparently because the interface is configured without an IP address.

Moreover, from time to time, I inspect the TCP data in the packet logs.
There, I regularly see Snort rules and other Snort-related data in the
payload. I believe these are due to buffer overflows or other software bugs
within Snort or possibly libpcap. My network is small and has relatively
low traffic; moreover, it has limited bandwidth and therefore limited
potential value to hackers other than novices. So, I tentatively rule out
the paranoid possibility that hacked systems are using covert communication
to transmit Snort data outside the network.

Q: Other than configuring for core dumps as Phil suggested, how can I best
configure Snort to provide useful debugging data for its developers? Or,
what data can I collect that might help discover -- better yet, fix --
what's up?

Just wanna help if I can <grin>.