[Snort-users] Alert Based on MAC Address

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Mar 21 15:38:07 EST 2002

As Jeff W already said, the content option of a rule looks at the
application layer content, not the headers.

you might consider using tcpdump for this purpose:

tcpdump ether src <mac address>

or run arpwatch.

Snort is major overkill for only trying to catch packets with a single,
static feature of the header. Snort is designed for applying a few hundred
different test cases (including application layer content searches) to each
packet and logging matches. Tcpdump is designed for dumping packets which
match a relatively simple header content pattern. Choose your tool that
best fits the scope of your task.