[Snort-users] MySQLOutput database & No logging

Ryan Swenson Ryan.Swenson at ...1448...
Thu Mar 21 13:14:57 EST 2002

Hello,

Does anyone know how to only output to a database and avoid any or all file output? I do not want any alert files or files in general.

Can Multiple sensors report to a single database?

Has anyone tried writing a backend utility to manage the Database itself. That is perhaps if we develop a utility which can manage an IDS database we can monitor for event correlation throughout a snort deployment of several sensors. When we for example see a bunch of useless IIS exploit attempts made on Apache servers in our global sensor arrangement we can through the utility delete all such alerts single-handingly over a number of IDS sensors where the alerts were found.

I am writing such a utility in C/C++ and Java. Need Help (Anybody have good Select Statements & such???) Perhaps to the developer of the Database Portion - if I cannot make autojoins in Mysql what are my options.

Why didn't they develop snort to alternatively output packets & layers to a Database and based on the incremental counter of the DB input perform analysis with the detection engine, and support modular filter analysis to support both IDS & Network Centric routines?

EG: Use Snort's incredible decoding and libpcap development to show not only security but real in-depth analysis of network issues. Do this within context of a MySQL or Oracle DB and toss the file output...!

Gruesse/ Kind Regards,
Ryan S.