[Snort-users] WEB-IIS MISC forbidden

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Fri Mar 15 15:35:02 EST 2002

Both of the mentioned rules are designed to trigger in response to denial
messages from a web server sent back to a browser.

I'm going to use X to refer to the machine at IP address x.x.x.x and Y to
refer to the machine at y.y.y.y

The most likely case is that a web browser at Y tried to access a webserver
at X and X sent back an error message.

It is entirely possible that someone deliberately sent a packet containing
that message from X to Y, but there really would not be any point to it.
Why would an attacker generate a forged "access denied" message and send it
to a network?  I guess you could do this in an attempt to block someone's
access to a valid website, but that hardly seems useful.

Thus I STRONGLY suspect that X is a real webserver and Y tried to access a
page that X decided they were not allowed to access. There is little sense
in any other case, and it certainly would not allow X to conduct any kind
of significantly useful network attack on Y.

I personally keep these rules disabled. Do I really care how often one of
my users tries to access an outside website and is told to go away? I mean,
this is so common that I'd get 10+ hits a day out of a smallish network. If
I want that information about my own webserver, I can always check the
server logs, and it will contain more detail.

It's really up to you to determine which rules are useful to you, but a lot
of the rules which indicate relatively ordinary error messages I eliminate
from my ruleset (many of the rules fall into this category for me like TTL
exceeded, echo-request, echo-reply, gnutella/napster/icq/aim/whatever).