[Snort-users] Whee! Snort is Working! (...Damn, SnortSnarf Is n't.)

Robinson, Eric R. erobinson at ...5206...
Fri Mar 15 11:54:07 EST 2002

Oops. I see the problem. Somehow, snortsnarf.pl got turned into a zero-byte
file. It's not doing anything!

-----Original Message-----
From: Robinson, Eric R. [mailto:erobinson at ...5206...]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 11:48 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Whee! Snort is Working! (...Damn, SnortSnarf
Isn't.)

I just installed Snort and SnortSnarf for Windows using Micahel Steele's
very detailed instructions at www.silicondefense.com.

Snort is running as a service, and is generating alerts. I ran a port scan
and some other tests against the snort machine, and I can see files and
folders being created under c:\inetpub\wwwroot\logs, and the alert.ids file
is getting updated.

However, when I run snortsnarf using the command given in the instructions,
which is:

c:\snort\snortsnarf\snortsnarf.pl -d c:\inetpub\wwwroot\logs -dns -db
c:\snort\snortsnarf\ann-dir\annotation-base.xml -cgidir http://localhost\cgi
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\logs\alert.ids

The index.html file does not change.

What's up with that?