[Snort-users] Cheaper Snort!

dr.kaos dr.kaos at ...4970...
Thu Mar 14 19:33:39 EST 2002

On Thursday 14 March 2002 01:05 pm, spyguy703 wrote:
> Here is a silly question:
>
> Why do some users of snort choose to run snort on win32 platforms? Does
> that not defeat ONE of the benefits of using snort?  That benefit being
> free?

I think you're missing a more important point: the fact that Snort is
free is, in my opinion, only a bonus. I think Snort's greatest benefits
have nothing to do with it's cost:

Snort is flexible, it runs on a multitude of OS's
Snort is fast, it can perform virtually-real-time analysis on 100Mb
Snort is powerful, it allows for preprocessors and custom rulesets
Snort is enterprise-ready, it can log to numerous backend DB's
Snort is secure, and being open, it's easy to audit the code base

etc., etc., etc.

./dr.kaos