[Snort-users] Cheaper Snort!

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Thu Mar 14 11:31:14 EST 2002

Ok, I'll try to answer this quickly and without starting an OS Holy War.
What's the best operating system?  The one you like that does the job you
want to do.  It's that simple.

People run Snort on the platforms they run it on (I've been running it on OS
X a lot lately for example) because it works for them on that platform and
it doesn't require a lot of horsing around to get it running (usually).
Lately I've been doing Snort development on a [PowerMac|PowerBook] G4
running OS X, getting it running was trivial and OS X has all my favorite
tools (gvim, gcc, gdb) and the ones I need for business
(Word/Excel/PowerPoint) in one nice package.  OS X costs money but that's ok
because it does the job that I want to do in a nice package (and the
beautiful 17" flat panel doesn't hurt either). ;)

     -Marty