[Snort-users] Cheaper Snort!

Ryan Russell ryan at ...35...
Thu Mar 14 10:49:14 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, spyguy703 wrote:

> Here is a silly question:
>
> Why do some users of snort choose to run snort on win32 platforms? Does
> that not defeat ONE of the benefits of using snort?  That benefit being
> free?

Short story, the hardware costs money, so that's not free.  The Windows
license may already be owned (sunk money.) But really, the major factor
will probably be OS expertise of the administrator.  The cost of hiring,
and perhaps training, a systems administrator totally dwarfs the cost of a
Windows license.  If the SA has never installed unix before, then having
Snort on Win32 probably means that they now have an opportunity to run
Snort, when they probably would have had to skip it otherwise.  In many
places, if it's a Windows shop, even if that particular SA can at least
install Linux, the boss may not allow it.  I've seen many managers who had
the attitude that they don't want that weird box in the corner that only
one guy can run, because what happens when he leaves?

I'm not saying that it's a good idea, or that there isn't some benefit to
having it on unix, but that's how it works.

					Ryan