[Snort-users] Cheaper Snort!

spyguy703 spyguy703 at ...131...
Thu Mar 14 10:10:24 EST 2002

Here is a silly question:

Why do some users of snort choose to run snort on win32 platforms? Does
that not defeat ONE of the benefits of using snort?  That benefit being
free?

FREE
Snort on Solaris 8..........$FREE
Snort on Linux...............$FREE

NOT-FREE **
Snort on Windows 2000 Professional.........$319.00
Snort on Windows 2000 Server..................$999.00 w/5 CAL's

** You have paid for your Windows licenses, right?

I am not trying to advocate an OS war, but just making a suggestion that
it can be easier to convince 'some' management types when offering a
solution that costs nothing more than the hardware.

I know that most Win32 guys I have worked love to use Windows for
everything, and thats fine and dandy. But how many of you are actually
paying for all of your Windows licenses? Not many of them actually own
enought licenses to cover the number of installs. (i am not accusing,
just saying there is a cheaper alternative then paying hundreds of
dollars per snort box)

However, I assume that no one in the security industry is pirating any
Microsoft software...right?

Just my 2 cents,

--spy