[Snort-users] Naming convention of Snort

Bob Walder bwalder at ...3902...
Wed Mar 13 13:58:39 EST 2002

D'oh....

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Jason
Hammerschmidt
Sent: 13 March 2002 17:39
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Naming convention of Snort

Why name Snort a NIDS when it's really a Host based IDS.. often being
used as an attempted NIDS via Ethernet taps/port mirroring.  So I don't
start a flame war, I'm assuming NIDS is an inline, or inband IDS at the
point of an interconnection from one network to another (like a
router/firewall/single transparent bridge).  Also, this is strictly a
curiousity question, I very much like Snort.

In various articles/docs, Snort is often referred to as lightweight, is
this only because it's non commercial?  I'm confused by this term,
although it seems to be disapearing recently.  Anyone?
--
Jason Hammerschmidt - direct: 416.643.8560
let the flame wars begin.