[Snort-users] New To Snort, Where do I start

Chris Green cmg at ...1935...
Wed Mar 13 08:11:08 EST 2002

"M.A. Montisetsi" <montisetsi at ...131...> writes:

> Yeah I went to Snort web page, and downloads I see a
> couple of RPM files for Redhat Linux 7.2, so I was
> just wondering which one to download as I'll be
> installing Snort from scratch and if it will work
> Redhat 7.1

Those RPMS were compiled on redhat 7.2 and supposedly they are binary
compatible across major revision numbers so you shouldn't have
problems but you may with the various database dependencies should you
choose to use one of those packages.

Look at the /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd and then look at the Writing Snort
rules pdf in the /usr/share/docs/snort-* dir or just read them online
at www.snort.org

--
Chris Green <cmg at ...1935...>
You now have 14 minutes to reach minimum safe distance.