[Snort-users] RE: Installing SNORT 1.8.3 on win2k server

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Tue Mar 12 21:57:02 EST 2002

Yes, Window$ idea of interfaces by number was a challenge for me,
particularily since my Window$ box has only one NIC but Window$ was
intent on identifying it twice.

With winpcap installed, cd to the directory containing windump and say:

windump -D

This will list *all* interfaces Windows sees; I get three (!)
including pptp, and by trial and error I learned I needed to use the
third interface, thus:

snort.exe -vv -i 3 blah blah blah...

HTH..

- John
--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 08:34:21AM +0100, C.Prickaerts at ...5294... wrote:
> Hi YP,
>
> I had the same problem. Two things:
>
> First my nic was number 2, so snort line should be:
> c:\snort\snort.exe -h 192.168.30.0/24 -i 2
>
> Check out what number your lan  card has.
>
> Also, First I installed in the default dir, but it seems the snort engine
> cannot handle spaces in the config file when it comes to directory
> locations. You'll see this by running snort in a cmd box, instead of via the
> IDS gui.
>
> Try installing to c:\ (which would result in c:\snort), adjust script so
> that rules scripts are properly cited and see what happens.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

<snippage>