[Snort-users] Regarding IDS rules.

Dragos Ruiu dr at ...381...
Tue Mar 12 19:32:07 EST 2002

Snort uses the first rule that triggers.
The "first" rule is consistent, but not what you
would normally expect with simple logic.  I think
Marty wrote some messages explaining rule chains
and option nodes a while back that may help you
understand what is the first rule checked in a chain
a while back which a search of the archives of
this list may turn up.

Quick version, rule chains as separate by address,
and the last rule added to the chain is the first
checked. (or I think that's the way it worked the
last time I looked at it :-P )

cheers,
--dr