[Snort-users] Newbie needs help!!!

Ian Masters ian at ...4311...
Tue Mar 12 18:32:02 EST 2002

>1. I am using SnortSnarf and Apache, do I need to
>install other programs such as PHP or mySQL?

No, Snortsnarf is a perl script that parses and formats Snort alerts

>2. Is all components like time-modules ....compulsory
>to make my SnortSnarf running?

Yes  but it's easy. From your snortsnarf dir:

cd Time-Modules
perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
su
Password:
make install

>3. How can I link my SnortSnarf with Apache? Do this
>two programs need to be in the same directory?

No ... just tell snortsnarf.pl where to find the alerts and where to put
the html i.e. something *like* this:

./snortsnarf.pl -d /home/httpd/html/snortsnarf /var/log/snort/alert
/var/log/snort/portscan.log

Good luck

Ian Masters
Pineapple Company