[Snort-users] Problem running in daemon mode

Dany Allard dallard at ...1295...
Tue Mar 12 15:01:02 EST 2002

Hello

  I am having a problem, that when I run Snort with the -D flag the card
is not running in PROMISC mode.

  I can run snort with from the command line using
   ./snort -b -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -h xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24 -i eth1
and everything runs fine and if I run ifconfig the card shows as " UP
BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST "
when I run the following
        /usr/local/bin/snort -D -b -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -h
xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24 -i eth1
 I don't see any traffic in the logs and if I run ifconfig the card
shows as "UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST".

Has anyone seen this problem before (I saw similar problems going back
through the snort-users mailing list but nothing that fixed my problem).

Other required info :
I am running snort 1.8.3
I am running the  2.2.14-15 linux kernel.
I am also using libnet-1.0-1mdk, libtermcap-devel-2.0.8-16mdk,
libpcap-0.4-3mdk.

Any ideas ?? (do I need a new version of libpcap?)

Thanks

Dany Allard