[Snort-users] Re: Snort sourcecode and licensing (was: need info)

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Mon Mar 11 14:02:05 EST 2002

Hmm, your English is a little rough, but I think I understand your
questions (I do not understand what you mean by the term "misuse approach"
in the context you used it in):

1) Snort is a rules based nids, but has an anomaly sensor plugin, called
spade. These two work simultaneously, but independently when snort runs and
spade is enabled. See snort.conf for details about how to enable spade, and
more detail about how the spade engine works is available at
www.silicondefense.com.

2) Snort is written in C. Download the tarball, unpack it and see for yourself.

3) Snort is GPL licensed, If you do not understand what that means, I
strongly suggest reading up on it at www.fsf.org. In short, you can modify
the source, but you must distribute your modified source code with any
binaries, and maintain the same GPL license for the modified code. (ie: you
cannot make proprietary modifications and distribute a binary executable
alone.) However, that short description is only my own summary
interpretation of the license, you will have to look at the license
yourself to determine what exactly may be done if you do not wish to simply
make some fixes and provide a patch back to the snort development team.

A full copy of the GPL license is included in the snort tarball as the file
named COPYING.