[Snort-users] alert_syslog options?

Wirth, Jeff WirthJe at ...4876...
Mon Mar 11 09:59:03 EST 2002

> Could someone point me to documentation of the four alert_syslog output
> plugin options listed in the Snort Manual? They are listed below:

> LOG_CONS
> LOG_NDELAY
> LOG_PERROR
> LOG_PID

Check your systems "syslog" man page / documentation...

(FreeBSD..)

     LOG_CONS	   If syslog() cannot pass the message to syslogd(8) it will
		   attempt to write the message to the console
		   (``/dev/console.'')

     LOG_NDELAY    Open the connection to syslogd(8) immediately.  Normally
		   the open is delayed until the first message is logged.
		   Useful for programs that need to manage the order in
which
		   file descriptors are allocated.

     LOG_PERROR    Write the message to standard error output as well to the
		   system log.

     LOG_PID	   Log the process id with each message: useful for
identify-
		   ing instantiations of daemons.

- Jeff

Could someone point me to documentation of the four alert_syslog output
plugin options listed in the Snort Manual? They are listed below:

LOG_CONS
LOG_NDELAY
LOG_PERROR
LOG_PID