[Snort-users] Bug/Feature in Snort?

Paul Farley Paul.Farley at ...5111...
Sun Mar 10 16:29:02 EST 2002

Ryan,

There are a few questions centered around that very fact.

1. Why did the ack packet my box returned set off that rule?  The ack
was headed in the wrong direction AND did not have the content specified
in the rule.  I could accept maybe a misconfiguration of HOME_NET as a
cause for the direction of traffic issue, but that packet doesn't have
the content the rule is looking for.

Ack packet:

02/16-03:25:26.843748 MY.NET.9.170:80 -> 66.76.77.48:4832
TCP TTL:127 TOS:0x0 ID:49657 IpLen:20 DgmLen:40 DF
***A**** Seq: 0x4A529D53  Ack: 0xE74AC1BC  Win: 0x4428  TcpLen: 20

2. Why the difference between the packet TTL and the TTL reported in the
alert?

Regards,

Paul Farley
EventLevel, Inc.