[Snort-users] VERY simple 'virtual' honeypot

Jason Robertson jason at ...3161...
Sat Mar 9 08:15:02 EST 2002

Anyways I don't know if I will be stepping on anyones feet, so if I
am.. I hope you are wearing steel-toed boots..  Because this comfy
gov't job has made me fat and.... oh okay, enough with the joking at my
expense.

Anyways, isn't the purpose of a honeynet not only to monitor attempted
traffic, but to monitor direct attacks and to attain evidence when a
person has breached the security of a machine or network?  What
evidence do you have that they portscanned your machine?  especially if
they break into the system anyways.

The purpose of a honeypot, is to give an idea of a vulnerable system,
to see what they do.  Some of these various analysis of some of these
trojans, and rootkits wouldn't exists without the use of honeypots,
since these machines give just enough access to allow someone to gain
access and to put all kinds of backholes into the system, but not
enough to actually be useful.

Jason