[Snort-users] Re: VERY simple 'virtual' honeypot

Edward Balas ebalas at ...5252...
Fri Mar 8 06:28:12 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Lance Spitzner wrote:

> Most honeypots work on the same concept, a system that has no
> production activity.  You deploy a box that has no production
> value, any packets going to that box indicate a probe, scan, or
> attack.  This helps reduce both false positives and false
> negatives.  Exampls of such honeypots include BackOfficer Friendly,
> DTK, ManTrap, Specter, and Honeynets.
>
> However, I was just thinking, why bother deploying the box?
> Why not create a list of Snort rules that generate an alert
> whenever a TCP/SYN packet or UDP packet is sent to an IP
> address that has no system?  This could incidate a probe,
> scan or attack, the same principles of a honeypot, but
> without deploying an actual system.
>
> Of course this does not give you the Data Capture capabilites
> of a honeypot, as there is no system for the attacker to
> interact with.  However, this could be used to help detect
> scanning or probing activity.
>
> Thoughts?

Dsong and folks at arbor networks terminated a /8 onto one box as I
understand that did a similar thing, though it was actually terminating
tcp sessions to observe nimbda etc and the source of the propogation
attempts.

I think this is useful to characterize the frequency of unsolicited
communication attempts for a given address range.  ie goes a long
way to dispell the "I am an anonymous entity on the net" mindset,
also good to know how that changes over time, etc.