[Snort-users] Re: VERY simple 'virtual' honeypot

David Watson david.watson at ...5244...
Fri Mar 8 04:08:05 EST 2002

Lance / Kurt,

I had been thinking about exactly the same idea myself recently, simply for
scan trend analysis on multiple networks / sites without having to deploy a
full honeynet. How about something as simple as a Trinux boot disk with
LaBrea tar pit running on an empty Internet connected segment? This would
respond to incoming connection requests to any IP address on the local LAN
and attempt to either hang on to the connections or reset them politely.
The usual snort config would provide useful alerting and logging
information, whilst with connection trapping enabled some attackers might
be fooled into believing there were actual physical systems and coming back
for more detailed scans?

Thanks,

David

--
David Watson                    Voice:  +44 1904 438000
Technical Manager               Fax:    +44 1904 435450