[Snort-users] Re: VERY simple 'virtual' honeypot

Kurt Seifried bugtraq at ...5234...
Thu Mar 7 20:48:06 EST 2002

> Most honeypots work on the same concept, a system that has no
> production activity.  You deploy a box that has no production
> value, any packets going to that box indicate a probe, scan, or
> attack.  This helps reduce both false positives and false
> negatives.  Exampls of such honeypots include BackOfficer Friendly,
> DTK, ManTrap, Specter, and Honeynets.
>
> However, I was just thinking, why bother deploying the box?
> Why not create a list of Snort rules that generate an alert
> whenever a TCP/SYN packet or UDP packet is sent to an IP
> address that has no system?  This could incidate a probe,
> scan or attack, the same principles of a honeypot, but
> without deploying an actual system.
>
> Of course this does not give you the Data Capture capabilites
> of a honeypot, as there is no system for the attacker to
> interact with.  However, this could be used to help detect
> scanning or probing activity.

Better yet have snort spoof a reply (i.e. pretend that a valid port is
there). Then the attacker comes back later for more giving you more
information and wasting more of their time. Then you get a bit of the best
of both worlds. I'm sure snort, portsentry or something similar could easily
be hacked up to do it. Alternative use port redirects on Linux/OpenBSD to
redirect stuff for unused networks to a "legit" server that will reply with
basic stuff.

> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Lance Spitzner