[Snort-users] Win32 Snort blocks data from dialup connection

Luis R. Alonso luchicito at ...131...
Thu Mar 7 06:33:11 EST 2002

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to Snort and have run into a problem when I get it running. I have read through the manual and the FAQ and haven't seen anything that relates to my problem directly so I'm hoping someone on this list can help me out.

I am running Snort on Windows 2000 Server using a dialup TCP/IP connection (I know, its slow, but its all I can afford right now). I installed Snort 1.8.2 from the binaries available from the Silicon Defense website. I used the MySQL build because I am following the instructions from the Snort website for installing Snort-MySQL and ACID. So, I got MySQL installed and running as a service. I then extracted the Snort binaries and overwrote the rules files with the latest rules files available from snort.org. When I run Snort in its basic mode, it starts and appears to run fine. However, I seem to lose access to my internet connection. I can no longer retrieve web pages or mail and my connections to instant messaging applications get dropped. When I run Snort with the -v option it lists packets coming from the network but I don't seem to receive them.

My connections start working like normal when I kill the Snort process.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Luis