[Snort-users] Not feeling the LOVE

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Mon Mar 4 14:13:01 EST 2002

Actually I do have Ben's original post about the topic still in my inbox,
it was dated mid February, and is not mangled, but was mime-converted by my
mailserver (from quoted printable, but his most recent post was converted
from base64).

The original message has these relevant headers (among others)
   Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:29:39 -0800
   Subject: [Snort-users] spp_unidecode false positive

basicaly he comments that these alerts are going off for packets from his
network heading to compaq and ingram micro websites.. Sounds like compaq
and ingram (amongst many others) use submissions that contain all kinds of
wacky byte patterns. I've found these alerts to be quite noisy myself.

As for what to do about the "false" positives, I personally use http_decode
with those particular alerts disabled (as someone else already
suggested).  The webserver I'm protecting is fairly minimal and has no CGIs
running on it, so these aren't really a major concern to me. From what I
understand unidecode is still a bit on the experimental side anyway..

preprocessor http_decode: 80 -unicode -cginull
<comment block>
# preprocessor unidecode: 80 -unicode -cginull

I would only consider turning these on for a snort box which will only see
traffic which is bound for your webserver, it's just too noisy if client
PCs are in the traffic.