[Snort-users] win32 problem

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Mon Mar 4 13:37:04 EST 2002

When you run the Window$ version, is it a freestanding box, connecting
via dialup using ppp, or is it connected to the Linux box through a NIC?

I have installed snort on a Win98 box I have around here, and at least
on that platform I had a heck of a time figuring out *what* Window$
was intent on calling the interface.

With winpcap installed, change to the directory containing windump.exe
and say "windump.exe -D"

This should list all interfaces; for me it lists 3 ;-) -- two relating
to my one NIC and one relating to a dialup connection that hasn't existed
on that box for three years  /* thinks how much he loves Window$ */

Anyway, twiddle with the different interface *numbers* -- my command
line is \path_to_snort\snort.exe -dvv -i 3 -- so Windows wants me to
use interface number 3...

HTH..

- John
--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?