[Snort-users] running snort

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Mon Mar 4 10:10:16 EST 2002

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 NoLiMiT1961 at ...661... wrote:

> In the FAQ It said in order to run snort in sniffer mode .Run snort like
> this to see if i see any packets...snort -dvi eth0 ok and i did see packet's
> now how do i run it with HOME_NET and also set it for the approriately for
> the network im defending in my rule file snort.conf?

OK, I'm assuming since you found the FAQ you know of the docs page on
snort.org.  Since you are, the answer can be found in the Snort Users Guide
that's there.  It's also in the snort man page (snort.8).

RTFM, set your configuration variables accordingly in the snort.conf file and
then fire it up.

In short a "snort -c snort.conf" will work as soon as you have the .conf file
configured correctly.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams