[Snort-users] New to snort

Michael Steele michaels at ...155...
Sun Mar 3 17:02:21 EST 2002

Jeff,

I pointed Robert to the real answer. If by sending Robert to our site
was misleading, that was not my intention.

By sending Robert to our site it gave him all the tools he needed to
install a working and fictional IDS center for his Windows box, and the
ability to read those confusing alerts.

Robert is new to snort and the answer you gave him to his question, most
likely confused him with parts of your answer.  Remember he is NEW to
Snort.

All the documentation for Snort was included in the original
distribution. I'm almost positive Robert would have read that prior to
asking for help, but maybe not. I'm giving Robert the shadow of a doubt
and I think he did read it all.

Robert is now here for support. With everything I read out of Roberts
request I felt it imperative to send Robert to our site for a complete
walk through for his question. I answer dozens of these types of
questions each week, so I'm pretty intuitive when it comes to reading
these types of requests.

>> Since I'm guessing Robert is looking for a real answer to this
question
>> rather than an advertisement from Silicon Defense, this might help:

While we monitor several of these lists, we do want to make sure people
know that they do have a place to get commercial support for Snort when
they need it.

Silicon Defense is not here only to offer our superior commercial Snort
support, or our high quality "Sentrus" IDS at the best price available
on the market today, which is a perfect blend of the #1 most installed
IDS in the world, Snort, with a world leader in the network server
market, Sun, but we are here to genuinely help people, and I think we
have proven that.

- Mike

 Commercial Snort Support <<->> 1.866.41.SNORT
  Silicon Defense -- www.silicondefense.com
     Home of the new SENTRUS Snort sensor!
   Michael Steele - Snort Support Technician