[Snort-users] tarball of ArachNIDS available

Bob Walder bwalder at ...3902...
Sat Mar 2 04:59:09 EST 2002

Errrrrr - isn't that happening right now on Snort.org? The content might not
be as structured or detailed or consistent as Arachnids but it's definitely
a start

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Nibar Anonymous
Sent: 02 March 2002 01:15
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] tarball of ArachNIDS available

Do Internet search engines have the permission to index websites (in
Google's case, downloading and providing the cached copy) in bulk on a
worldwide basis without prior permission of the owners? If you want to dig,
you can probably mine a cached copy of all of whitehats.com right out of the
Google cache. There's definitely a full snapshot provided by the WayBack
Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.whitehats.com
http://web.archive.org/web/20010815164458/whitehats.com/ids/index.html

Who gave them the right to republish past versions of whitehats.com and
everything else on the web? Pretty much everything not behind an id and
password login gets indexed, cached, archived and potentially republished.
The Grace Hopper pricipal (better to ask forgiveness rather than permission)
has historically been applied on the Net. But then there's the "it's all fun
and games until someone gets sued" principal lately as well.

I don't know the details in this instance. Ethically, we should respect the
content owner's wishes and delete everything if he requests that we do so. I
personally have no idea what the content originator's wishes (Max Vision, I
think) are in this matter.

If it turns out that Max Vision wants all of the ArachNIDS stuff sent to
/dev/null, then maybe we should consider putting together an alternative
"freeNIDS" that is not based on the arachNIDS content? Remember back when
Phil Katz (R.I.P.) tried to make the ARC format more accessible to PC
bulletin board owners and users by writing the superior PKARC, PKXARC, etc
utilities? The company (SEA?) owning the ARC format either sued him or
threatened to sue him, so he created ZIP (PKZIP, etc) instead. ARC became
irrelevant practically overnight.

FreeNIDS might be good idea anyway. Maybe the Snort folks (nudge, nudge,
wink, wink) would consider sponsering soming like that? Also a license where
if the company or individual maintaining the content where to go belly-up
(or to jail, or chapter 11, 17, whatever), the content would be free (belong
to the community) to be hosted and mirrored elsewhere/anywhere?

  _____

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Sports - Sign up for Fantasy Baseball