[Snort-users] tarball of ArachNIDS available

Brian bmc at ...950...
Fri Mar 1 17:57:04 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 05:14:38PM -0800, Nibar Anonymous wrote:
> I don't know the details in this instance. Ethically, we should respect
> the content owner's wishes and delete everything if he requests that
> we do so. I personally have no idea what the content originator's
> wishes (Max Vision, I think) are in this matter.

In this specific instance, Max did not what his content mirrored.  All of
the content on ArachNIDS is copyrighted to Max's company.  Republishing it
without permission IS in violation of copyright law.

I had asked before he went to jail.  Marty asked his wife after he was in
jail.  I asked his wife again after he was in jail.  Every time, we were
told "Thanks for asking, but no."

> If it turns out that Max Vision wants all of the ArachNIDS stuff sent to
> /dev/null, then maybe we should consider putting together an alternative
> "freeNIDS" that is not based on the arachNIDS content?

Do people not actually read the email that is sent to this list?  We have
been doing exactly this for some time now.

http://www.snort.org/snort-db/

-brian