[Snort-users] Setting up a Windowz Interface to monitor with no IP Address

Mike Shaw mshaw at ...3165...
Fri Jun 28 08:27:08 EDT 2002

At 07:38 AM 6/28/2002 -0600, Slighter, Tim wrote:
>I did find that for those who are uncomfortable with poking away at the
>registry blindfolded, there is an easier way to setup a "stealth" interface
>on a windows system.  Just simply configure the interface for DHCP and it
>will never obtain an IP address but will still be in the "UP" state.

Hmmmm...that's a little scary.  All it takes is a rogue DHCP server to give
it whatever ip address you want.

Try it on a lan segment sometime (assuming it's one you're responsible for
and you know what you're doing), you'll be amazed at what devices suddently
pop up on the network.  Switches, hubs, print servers, remote access
devices....this used to be especially true where the standard protocol was
IPX and TCP/IP was not even considered.

I wouldn't recommend this particular technique.

-Mike